Saimaa kayaking and bicycling trip
On this guided tour we offer you two days of muscle powered activities on land and the lake; kayaking and bicycling in the best parts of lake Saimaa, in the heart of Puumala waters! Witness the wonderful waters and locale of Niinisaari, Rokansaari, Pistohiekka and Lietvesi.
Friday-Saturday 8. – 9.9.2023
Duration: Departure at 10:00 return the next day at 16:00.
- day paddling distance approx. 16 km
- day bicycling distance approx. 34 km
Price includes the following:
- A guide for the paddling and cycling portions of the trip.
- Quality kayaks and related equipment
- A delicious outdoor lunch in Rokansaari
- Accommodation and sauna at Pistohiekka in the new 2-person cabins.
- Breakfast at Pistohiekka
- Bicycle rental including helmet and hi-viz. vest
- Tickets for the Norppa II bicycle-ferry.
- Free parking for the duration of the trip
- Transportation of the equipment needed for the trip
- Liability insurance from the organizers side. We recommend you have your personal travel insurance policy update and which would include a cancellation cover.
For an additional fee:
- E-Bike: 30 €/person
- Waterproof bicycle bags: 5€/ pc (20 liter) (Requires a bicycle model that supports a pannier)
- Sauna after the trip in a traditional wood-stove sauna. : 15€ /person
The additional options you may select into your shopping basket from the optional products menu after you have first selected the main product.
- Day 1
Arrival: Friday at 10:00 (Saimaa Canoeing, Ylössaarentie 84, 52200 PUUMALA)
Preparation for the trip: Select the suitable kayaking gear for trip, packing of kayaks and safety briefing.
.. And so the day of kayaking may begin. During the trip we will be paddling thru the Norppa (Saima grey ringed seal) rich waters and we will stop by in a Geopark location of Rokansaari, where we will have a lunch break and if need be have a relaxing swim. After the lunch break, we will continue our journey northwards towards the sandy beaches of Pistohiekka. After the day of paddling we can relax at the pistohiekka brand new accomodation, in 2-person cabins, and sauna. You can enjoy the splendid lake view from the Pistohiekka restaurant while enjoying the local cuisines (Evening meals are not included in the price.!)
Accommodation in the new 2-person cabins which have their own toilet and shower.
- Day 2
The second day will start of in a relaxed mood with a breakfast at Pistohiekka.
At 10:00 we will gather and prepare for the days bicycle trip. … and so begins day 2 on the back of a bicycle. During the day we will be passing through the best parts of the Puumala-archipelago cycle-route. Before the ferry crossing at 13:00, we will pop by Hurissalo village store/terrace enjoy small snacks and/refreshments at your own expense.
After the short break at Hurissalo store we will cycle to the ferry harbour of Kivisalmi, where we will board the ferry and cross the southern part of the beautiful Lietvesi lake. The ferry crossing will take approx. 40 minutes. one will need to have suitable (warm) clothing, depending on the weather, as the ferry is an open ferry.
The Ferry will land at Nestorinranta on Lintusalo island, where we will continue our trip cycling from island to island back to Niinisaari. this portion of the trip is about 16 kilometers. We will stop by at Restaurant Niinipuu where we will have a evening meal (at customers own expense)
We will arrive back to our original starting point approximately at 16:00
For an additional cost of 15€/person you can reserve a Sauna after the trip in a traditional wood-stove sauna.
What you need to bring for yourself for the trip:
- Outdoor clothing, depending on the weather. Also a 1 spare set of clothes.
- headgear: hat, and/or warm cap and sunglasses
- soft soled shoes suitable for kayaking
- swimsuit, towel
- personal medication and hygiene products
- A small backpack for the bicycling day
On Saturday morning we will provide transportation back to the starting location (Niinisaari)for those items that you will not be needing during the bicycling day.
Requirements: you need to have previous paddling experience and have a good basic level of fitness. Those who have less paddling experience can paddle in a double kayak with a friend.
Group size: 6-10 persons. the trip organizer reserves the right to cancel the trip if less than 6 persons sign up.
Languages: Finnish, English
Reservations: must be made by august 12th from our website OR contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org OR via phone: + 358 50 487653
After signing up we will send the participants a more detailed trip plan-letter.